Monday 3 September 2012

Summer Escapades

The past few months I have been busy creating, selling, travelling and exhibiting, but unfortunately, not blogging. So here's a quick round up of what I've been up to....

June

I had a very successful, albeit incredibly soggy Diamond Jubilee Festival at the Etsy Marketplace in Battersea Park. Didn't see the Queen, but I did see a very nice (male) look-a-like and a pearly Queen which was enough for me.




In case you missed out on getting your own limited edition alternative Diamond Jubilee Souvenir, there are still a few left at http://www.etsy.com/shop/katiejspragg?section_id=11539850 

July

Saw the opening of Tina Tsang's, director of Undergrowth Design (where I have worked part-time for the past two years), psychopomp exhibition at Mead Carney. 

I had created delicate porcelain details for some of her sculptures including porcelain flowers with glass eyeballs for centers and porcelain seaweed and limpets.


'ascension II' by tina tsang as part of her 'psychopomp' exhibition
all images courtesy of mead carney
 
Look closely and you can see the flowers I created nestled amongst the moss.

Also in July I exhibited new work at the amazing Secret Garden Party, in its 10th year the theme was 'Standing on Ceremony', so I took the opportunity to celebrate the bazaar tradition of military animal mascots. 

Commemorative platters hung in the trees of the Badger Woods and the audience could award the mascots oversized medals of different curious facts. 






August

In August a very exciting journey began of 9 ceramic artworks, created by nine international, emerging ceramicists, of which I was one.

Fragile In Transit is a ceramic travelling exhibition; an idea conceived at Guldagergaard in Denmark where I completed a residency earlier this year. 

Each artist has created a piece that weighs less than 5kg and references ‘balance’ in some way. The pieces will travel between each of the artists’ hometowns, visiting Helsinki, Vilnius and Milan amongst others.

The exhibition opened  in Belfast’s Maxwell Street Studios as part of Northern Ireland’s Craft Month and has now the traveled to the island of Bornholm, Denmark where is will be park of Bornholm's Culture week.

The Belfast exhibition, hosted by Claire Muckian  http://www.clairemuckian.co.uk/

My piece for the exhibition; a travelling shrine to places I have never been.



Follow the journey and adventures of this work at http://projectnetwork3.tumblr.com/ 

Like us on Facebook for frequent updates and news of the upcoming London exhibition http://www.facebook.com/FragileInTransit

In August I also travelled myself, back to Denmark to visit other members of the collective and take down our exhibition that had been showing in Grimmerhus International Ceramic Museum.

New Gift Shop pieces were exhibited in the Traces exhibition, an emersive exhibition in an old Victorian pub, The Marquis of Landsdown in Hackney.


No comments:

Post a Comment